Tuesday, February 5, 2008

CHINESE NEW YEAR

Today is the Chinese New Year. It is a big holiday here, and evidently throughout Asia.

It seems to be a time to honor one's ancestors. As I was walking through the streets in my part of town this morning, I noticed people making burnt offerings of paper play money and other things. When I arrived at the internet cafe that I visit almost every day I saw the altar, the "spirit house" that sits in the corner, right next to where I'm sitting as I write this, has offerings on it: incense a candle, five cups of some kind of liquid (I'm not going to taste it to find out what it is) a stack of oranges, several packets of cooked rice wrapped in banana leaves, a cooked fowl (either a chicken or a duck), a dried fish, an egg and other edibles.

Even here in a place of business, ancestors are duly honored today.

No comments: