Tuesday, February 5, 2008

WHAT AM I DOING IN PHNOM PENH?

Last week I travelled to Siem Reap. So what am I doing now that I'm back in Phnom Penh? On Sunday a short term team with a group from Canada came to church and I asked if I could hang out with them for the day. We spent the afternoon at a state run orphanage, a hard place to be because it was pretty dirty and the kids were pretty lice-y, but a really necessary place to visit. The theme of the program they presented was, "God made you and He loves you and you're wonderful." A pretty relevant theme for unwanted kids, I think. Interestingly, as they were finishing their program the country director of the Methodist church (from North Carolina) and their community development director, a lovely lady from Bangladesh, came in, because they do a weekly Sunday school there.

I was most impressed with the Canadian team. They had great team spirit, were open to including waifs and strays like myself, they did a great presentation, they worked as a team with a group of Cambodian students, because their philosophy is not to come in to "do for" people but to come and work alongside people in the countries they are visiting. We had a great time together! They are visiting orphanages throughout Asia run by a group called Ă„sia's Hope. The team consists of about 6 or 8 people, including a children's pastor, who is really good at what he does. He really knows how to engage with children.

The person on the team that impressed me the most was a woman named Sua, who was born in Laos. She is from the Hmong tribe and when she was 5 years old the war broke out in Laos and a Scottish missionary lady helped the family--parents and 9 children, of which Sua is 7th--walk 11 days through the jungle to Thailand, where they spent 5 years in a refugee camp. During this time the Scottish lady visited them every day and taught the kids to read and write. At some point in their escape the father realized that he was totally dependent on God and became a Christian. In Asian countries, when the father gets converted, the whole family converts. Being a refugee--unwanted, displaced, without a home or an identity--is hard on a child, and Sua was really traumatized. The oldest three siblings were accepted to emigrate to the USA, and the rest of the family ended up in Canada. Sua had her struggles with God, was planning on suicide, but the Lord intervened, as did counselors, pastors, and friends, and she finally found healing and her identity in the Lord. For her doing this tour of orphanages has been a really healing experience. You should see how she shows love to the kids!

I spent Monday evening with these people, too, as they were going to say "Goodbye" to the children in the Asia's Hope orphanages here. They were waiting for the kids when the van brought them home from school (at about 6 p.m.) and they played with these kids and finally hugged everyone as they said "Goodbye." We did this at two orphanages. What touched me was (1) that these kids acted like they knew they are loved. No squabbling or jealousy. and (2) it was the KIDS who said, "We will be praying for you." Lots of tears. Today the team is off to another part of the country.

I'm becoming more engaged with the Friendship Club, where I am staying. I've volunteered to teach Italian cooking and this week we are going to make spaghetti alla carbonara. Who would have thought I'd be teaching Italian cooking in Cambodia? I'll also be leading a Bible study in English and possibly a photography class.

Tuesday I met with the director of the Evangelical Women's Fellowship, with whom I have promised to meet one afternoon per week to help her with various projects, and possibly do some training for her organization. I'm glad for the diversity of activities and people. Next week I will be leading a women's retreat at the beach. Great location. Hope it's fruitful.

Things are slowing down here--even traffic--as people get ready to celebrate Chinese New Year. We are, after all, in Asia and this is a big holiday.

No comments: